Its funny to think about the things we do that actually hurt our happiness instead of help it.
I have been sent the article “15 Things You Should Give Up To Be Happy” a few times and every time I read it, I am reminded that I actually take part in most of this list of things you should give up.
So I am printing this out and posting it in my office as we speak.
Sometimes we just need a little reminder to not take life so seriously!
Thanks World Observer Online for sharing!
1. Give up your need to always be right. There are so many of us who can’t stand the idea of being wrong – wanting to always be right – even at the risk of ending great relationships or causing a great deal of stress and pain, for us and for others. It’s just not worth it.
2. Give up your need for control. Be willing to give up your need to always control everything that happens to you and around you – situations, events, people, etc. Whether they are loved ones, coworkers, or just strangers you meet on the street – just allow them to be.
3. Give up on blame. Give up on your need to blame others for what you have or don’t have, for what you feel or don’t feel. Stop giving your powers away and start taking responsibility for your life.
4. Give up your self-defeating self-talk. Oh my. How many people are hurting themselves because of their negative, polluted and repetitive self-defeating mindset?
5. Give up your limiting beliefs about what you can or cannot do, about what is possible or impossible.
6. Give up complaining. Give up your constant need to complain about those many, many, maaany things – people, situations, events that make you unhappy, sad and depressed. Nobody can make you unhappy, no situation can make you sad or miserable unless you allow it to.
7. Give up the luxury of criticism. Give up your need to criticize things, events or people that are different than you.
8. Give up your need to impress others. Stop trying so hard to be something that you’re not just to make others like you. It doesn’t work this way.
9. Give up your resistance to change. Change is good. Change will help you move from A to B.
10. Give up labels. Stop labeling those things, people or events that you don’t understand as being weird or different and try opening your mind, little by little. Minds only work when open.
11. Give up on your fears. Fear is just an illusion, it doesn’t exist – you created it.
12. Give up your excuses. Send them packing and tell them they’re fired. You no longer need them.
13. Give up the past. I know, I know. It’s hard. Especially when the past looks so much better than the present and the future looks so frightening, but you have to take into consideration the fact that the present moment is all you have and all you will ever have. The past you are now longing for – the past that you are now dreaming about – was ignored by you when it was present.
14. Give up attachment. This is a concept that, for most of us is so hard to grasp and I have to tell you that it was for me too, (it still is) but it’s not something impossible.
15. Give up living your life to other people’s expectations. Way too many people are living a life that is not theirs to live.