5:15am: BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, the alarm goes off
5:16am: Hit snooze and debate whether to stay in bed or get up and hit the gym?
5:20am: Repeat the first two steps.
This is the debate I have every morning. Stay in my warm, comfortable bed or get up and kick my butt at the gym? I think most people would agree that staying in your warm, comfortable bed is the most appealing option, especially at 5:30am in the morning.
However, over the past few months that I have been making the choice to hop out of bed and hit the gym, I have grown to think it is the best option! Here’s why:
1. Gets Your Daily Fitness Commitment Out Of The Way
- When you complete your work out in the morning there aren’t any spur of the moment happy hours, dinner dates or working late to prevent you from going to the gym. Whatever happens to come up throughout the day, you can attend guilt free.
2. Gives You a Morning Boost
- It is a great way to get up, get moving and wake up in the morning. It allows you to have time to clear your mind, prepare for the day ahead and believe it or not, will help maintain your energy level throughout the entire day.
3. Less People at The Gym:
- Odds are most people are choosing the warm, comfortable bed over the tennis shoes. Therefore, the gym will be less crowded and will allow you to finish your work out in a smaller amount of time. Who doesn’t want that?
4. Jump Starts Your Metabolism
- Not only does it jump start your metabolism but working out in the morning can keep your metabolism elevated for the rest of the day. Studies also show, that it helps regulate appetite and motivates people to choose healthier food options.
By 6:35am, I am jumping in the shower with energy, an elevated metabolism and a sense of accomplishment, which is more than I can say when I hit snooze for the extra hour of questionable sleep. As I said before the worst part is getting out of bed, once you are past that you won’t regret choosing the gym!